Linus Torvalds was the one who created the Linux kernel in 2005, so it can be extended to GIT. Therefore, GIT is recognized and actively managed by Junio Hamano, a programmer . Today, GIT is one of the most recognized version control systems worldwide.
In addition, GIT also includes free, and open source. GIT can also be downloaded on Mac, Linux, Windows or Solaris.
What is GIT?
Group Inclusive Tour or GIT is a common tool used in software development projects. Not only that, GIT is also one of the tools that programmers must understand because it is widely and often used everywhere.
According to Wikipedia, GIT is a software version used for version control or code management software projects created by Linus Torvalds.
Initially, GIT was used for linux kernel development. Then, GIT evolved into a version control system used by developers for concurrent software development.
The main purpose of GIT is to manage versions of program source code by specifying lines and code to be added or replaced. Therefore, you need to know the meaning and benefits of GIT to be able to use and use it as you wish.
1. Version Control System Distributed
This method usually uses a so-called peer-to-peer which differs from other methods such as Subversion which uses a client-server model.
2. GIT allows developers With code Brach
GIT, creating, deleting or merging branches will be faster, smoother and less time-consuming.
3. GIT is Atomic
This is an incomplete or completely unsuccessful action. This is important because in some version control systems, for example CVS, the operation is very non-atomic. So if any activity is «suspended» and is linked to the repository, the repository will be more unstable than before.
4. GIT storage media in the .GIT folder
This storage media feature is definitely different from other vcs such as svn or cvs. Because the metadata files are stored in a hidden folder. For example: .cvs, .svn, .etc.
5. GIT Has Staging Area or Index.
With stagnant zones, developers will be able to format commits or can create them so they can be reviewed before proper deployment.
6. GIT is very simple to use.
To get started, you can create repository or checkout . Once installed, this GIT command will set things up in no time.
Strengths and Weaknesses of GIT
The advantages of GIT are as follows:
1 It will make it very easy developers to participate in project development.
2 It will make it easier for you to document projects, both in terms of source code or functionality changes.
3 Changes that occur in each file are thencommitted so that they can be seen.
4 Archives can also be saved offline or online.
5 Easy to understand.
The disadvantages of GIT are as follows:
- Not optimal
- Display support in windows is very limited when compared to linux.
Basic GIT Commands
How to use GIT? Here are the basic GIT commands that you should understand:
- GIT init: used to create a repository in files local
- GIT status: used to find out a status of a repository local
- GIT add: is the command used to add new files in the selected repository.
- GIT commit: used to save changes that have been made, but no changes have occurred in the remote repository
- GIT push: used to send file changes made after being committed to the remote repository
- GIT branch: is the command to view all branches in the
- GIT checkout: a command used to swap the active branch with the selected bracht.
- GIT merge: command used to merge the active branch as well as the selected branch
- GIT clone: is the command used to clone a local repository
Other Benefits of GIT Other
benefits of GIT are as follows:
- Very easy to use.
- There is a checkpoint when there is a change in the code.
- It is possible to save all versions of the source code.
- Can contribute to various open source projects.
- Can understand how todeploy applications modern
- Can understand how to collaborate on one or more projects.
Sites that Support GIT Implementation
There are indeed several sites that allow programmers to store source code web repositories, for example GITHub, GITLab, Bitbucket. But to use GITHub, you have to register for a premium account first.
The goal is to be able to create repository private elementSo you can use whichever suits your taste. People who have been directly involved in coding will also automatically save to the GIT database.
So that later it will be very easy to work on projects both online and offline. This means that in one or more places it will be done online. In addition, GIT will greatly facilitate programmers to find out what changes have occurred to the source code that has been made.
This is our full explanation of GIT. So based on the complete explanation above, we can conclude that GIT is something that is used in software development projects. GIT is also one as a tool that you should know and understand by programmers and is often used everywhere.
This software problem is indeed very important in various lines of business, including in the financial line. It requires proper financial management so that the company’s operations can run smoothly.